I used the Lemon Coconut Cupcakes recipe from my new cookbook, Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse, and simply substituted limes for the lemons called for in the original recipe. I wimped out and used a store-bought buttercream (Betty Crocker), but any buttercream frosting would do.
The limes, rolled a bit to get the juices flowing:
The baked cupcakes, cooling:
Covered in buttercream frosting:
If you look closely, you can see the flakes of coconut and shredded lime:
These cupcakes are perfect for summer... if only it wasn't so far away!
Coconut Lime Cupcakes
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 tbsps. lime zest
1 1/2 tsps. vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/4 cups sweetened coconut, toasted
1. Set oven to broil (500F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Spread coconut evenly on baking sheet and place in the oven.
3. Remove coconut when it browns and let cool.
4. Lower heat to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
5. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar at high speed until light and fluffy.
6. Add eggs one at a time, beating on medium speed until well creamed.
7. Add lime zest and vanilla and mix.
8. In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt together.
9. On low speed, beat dry ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
10. Add lime juice and mix.
11. Fold in coconut.
12. Scoop the batter into the liners, filling to the top of each.
13. Bake cupcakes for 25 - 30 minutes, or until a cake taster inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
14. Cool cupcakes entirely before frosting.