Sunday, February 3, 2008

Super Bowl Cake and Cupcakes!

Rayzor was planning on attending a Super Bowl party and he begged me (OK - maybe asked nicely) to make him a football cake similar to the one I made him for his 28th birthday a few years back. Being completely new to cake-decorating and construction then, I searched the Internet for "football cake" and came up with this, which I'll admit, turned out alright for one of my first attempts.

Being the show-off that I am, I agreed to bake it again but I knew that I wanted more of a challenge. So I decided this time to cover the cake in chocolate "stars" (icing piped into small 'star' shapes, using a star tip on my piping bag).

I used one of my favourite chocolate cake recipes, One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes, from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook, using the following ingredients:
When I realized that I had enough batter for the cake and more, I decided to make cupcakes and somehow incorporate them into my design.
Now, I won't lie, I punked out and bought chocolate and vanilla Duncan Hines frosting (it was on sale!) for the decorating. Occasionally I make my own frosting, but only when I have lots of time on my hands and a great desire to make the whole product from scratch. As you can tell, today was not one of those days.
Pulling the cake from the pan, I cut a two inch strip from the center to give the cake an oval shape. Then I covered the cake with a thin layer of the frosting to sort of glue it together.

To prepare for the "stars", I quickly piped the lacing using vanilla frosting and then got to work with the chocolate. Here's the finished product:
And closer up:

Now I had to figure out what to do with the cupcakes. I took a look at some of the recipes at Wilton and found this, which in turn, inspired the cutesy football players below (I'm pretty sure that football isn't supposed to be cute, but whatever). I used the star technique again on the helmets, but close inspection reveals that I made MANY mistakes (you might see some of the smudged icing, but I did a pretty good job covering it up) and while there is no photo evidence, the original frosting that I tinted for the faces was so pink that I had to toss it.
To ensure that my cakes didn't look like a finger painting when they arrived at their destination, (Rayzor is many things, including clumsy) I cleverly inserted toothpicks into the sides of the cupcakes, and then anchored them to the cake. And here's the final product!
By the end of it all, my wrist was killing me from holding my hand so still, but it's all worth it in the end - FOOTBALL SEASON IS FINALLY OVER!!!

1 comment:

Rob T said...

These were very. very good! Thank you!!