Saturday, March 15, 2008

Banana Muffins

I don't know what it is with muffins and I lately, but I've been a muffin-making machine the past few days.

When I woke up this morning I immediately got a craving for banana muffins. Don't ask me why.
Luckily, I had a few ripe bananas begging to be baked (what's with the alliteration?), so the next question was which recipe to use.

I've been wanting to test out the book that Rayzor bought me for Valentine's Day a bit more, so I ended up using the Banana Muffins recipe from Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse. A full review of this book will be the subject of my next post.

These muffins were fairly easy to make, but I didn't love them... they were just 'ok'. For one, I think that the recipe calls for way too much baking soda, and I followed the recipe, so I thought that the soapy taste consistent with using too much baking soda was quite apparent. If I were to make this recipe again, I would use only 1 tsp. of baking soda.

Secondly, I think that the muffins could have been more moist. By adding an extra banana, I think that they would have been more flavourful and moist.

The thing I did like about the recipe was the suggestion to sprinkle walnuts on the tops of the muffins. It added a great textural element, and really added to the flavour.

The ingredients:


The muffins, baked and cooling:


A big ole' basketful:


Banana Muffins

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup mashed bananas (approximately 2 bananas)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (plus another 1/2 cup for sprinkling, if desired)
2 tbsps. hot water

Directions:
1. Grease the top of a 12-mold muffin pan and line it with paper liners.
2. Preheat the oven to 350F. Have all ingredients at room temperature.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, butter and eggs well.
4. On a piece of wax paper, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just to combine.
6. Add and mix the bananas, walnuts and hot water just to combine.
7. Scoop the batter into the prepared molds, filling each to the top of the paper liner.
8. If desired, sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped walnuts over the tops of the muffins.
9. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
10. Cool on a wire rack for 5 - 10 minutes before removing the muffins from their pan.

No comments: