Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bumble #3: Apple And Oat Muffins With Maple Syrup


If the Raisin Bran muffins I made for Rayzor's Friday staff meeting were too dry (see this post for the gory details) then these Apple And Oat Muffins with Maple Syrup were sopping wet.

For some reason, these muffins developed a gummy, gluey texture (think paper-mache paste mixed with overcooked rice pudding) with an almost non-existant apple or maple syrup flavour.

I don't think that I did anything wrong with this recipe (although please correct me if you feel I'm wrong) unlike the bumble I made with the batch of Zucchini muffins, which I think I may have over-salted.

So I guess I can safely say that this recipes sucks and shouldn't be repeated...

The ingredients:

The muffins baked and cooling:

With a maple syrup glaze:



Apple And Oat Muffins With Maple Syrup


1 medium apple; peeled, cored and grated
2 egg whites
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup maple syrup plus a few tablespoons to glaze the muffin tops
1 1/2 tsps. baking powder
1 1/2 tsps. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, stir the buttermilk, oats and raisins together.
3. In a separate bowl, blend the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg together.
4. Add the egg whites, maple syrup and vanilla to the oat mix and blend thoroughly.
5. Blend the two mixtures together, and fold in the apple.
6. Pour batter into muffin pan, filling the liners almost to the top.
7. Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. Cool.
8. Lightly drizzle maple syrup over the tops of the cooled muffins.

No comments: