Friday, March 21, 2008

Easter Basket Cupcakes

It's hard for me to believe now, but last year at this time I was hardly into baking at all. Oh sure, I'd bake a few things at Christmas, but baking wasn't really a consistent thing with me, and it certainly wouldn't have crossed my mind to start blogging about it.

I guess what kicked it off was baking a birthday cake for my sister Sherm's birthday last April. Sherm's birthday was close to Easter, so I decided to bake her an Easter bunny cake similar to the one here. It actually looked the way it was supposed to, and this gave me enough confidence to finally embrace my inner baker.

Sadly, this year I won't get to see Sherm on her birthday, nor will I have the chance to visit with my family for Easter as I have to work tomorrow. But that doesn't mean that I can't bake!

I got the idea for the Easter basket cupcakes from Wilton Cupcakes. I was a bit daunted at first by the intricate nature of piping basketweave, which I had never done before, but I was surprised to find that it wasn't that hard. Actually, piping the basket handle was incredibly easy.

For the Eggs in the Grass cupcakes, well, I just kinda went crazy with the frosting and piped a really simple pile of grass, and then dotted it with Cadbury Mini Eggs.

The Butter Cupcake and Buttercream Frosting recipes that I used were also from Wilton. I initially wanted to make Martha Stewart's Vanilla Cupcakes, but I didn't have the 8 eggs, so I had to use a different recipe.

The cupcakes taste all-right, but not amazing. They are fairly light and quite rich from all the butter, and the flavour of the almond and vanilla was nice, but they really weren't spectacular.

As for the frosting, it's tooth-achingly sweet. If you're at all familiar with the frostings used in grocery stores, and you like them, then you'd love this stuff. But I prefer my frosting to be a little less sweet, and more buttery, so I don't think that I'd use this recipe again.

Overall, though, these turned out quite well, and I'm fairly pleased with the result.

The ingredients:
The cucpakes, baked and cooling:

All together:

Easter Basket filled with eggs:

A few eggs hidden in the grass:

Packed up for work tomorrow in my Cupcake Caddy:



Happy Easter!

1 comment:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

those are sooooo cute!

the carrot cupcakes i made were slightly muffin-y, but you could definitely tell it was a cupcake and not a muffin :)