Sunday, April 13, 2008

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

It rained all day yesterday, so to occupy my time, I flipped through a few of my cookbooks looking for a new recipe to try. My go-to book, One Smart Cookie, gave me the answer, in the form of a challenge: Everyone's Favourite (Oatmeal Chocolate Chip) Cookies. Author Julie Van Rosendaal writes, "As I was writing this book, I made a habit of asking everyone what their favorite kind of cookie was. The most popular answer by far was 'oatmeal with chocolate chips!' "
My first thoughts: "Yeah right, lady. Good one. Oatmeal Cookies? OATMEAL? Like the hard, raisin-laden oatmeal nightmares I recall in my youth as supposedly being 'good' for me? Hahahahahaha..... Good one."

My second thoughts: "Welll... if EVERYONE else likes it so much... maybe I should try it."

I'll admit, while mixing up the simple dough I was doubtful. I've always felt that calling oatmeal cookies 'cookies' was sort of a joke. Cookies are supposed to take like a dessert, not like trail-mix.

But when they came out of the oven, my attitude shifted a bit. And when I bit into my first one (quickly followed by a second, and then third, and then... well, you get the idea), I couldn't help but think: "Julie Van Rosendaal - you are a GENIUS!"

These cookies are REALLY, REALLY GOOD. In fact, I can honestly say that they are my favourite. They have an amazing texture, the chewiness of the oatmeal intertwined with the smooth chocolate chips, and aren't too rich, unlike regular chocolate chip cookies. Which is why I can easily put away four of them without any trouble.

So, my friends, I highly suggest you go into your kitchen right now and bake up a batch, because they really are tasty, and I'd appreciate it greatly if you could send me some right away, because I think I just ate the last one of mine.

The ingredients:
Paired with a shot of milk:

Oooey Gooey Goodness:

MY favourite cookie, about to be dunked!:



Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
2 large egg whites (I accidentally dropped one of the egg yolks in, so don't worry if it happens)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray or line sheet with parchment paper or use a Silpat.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until well combined - it will have the consistency of wet sand.
3. Add egg whites and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
4. In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt.
5. Add flour mixture to the sugar mixture, and stir by hand until almost combined.
6. Add the chocolate chips and stir just until blended.
7. Drop spoonfuls of dough about 2" apart on the baking sheet. Flatten each cookie a little with your hand, and shape the edges so they are rounded (will make the cookie look less "rustic", and more "magazine-ready", at least in my opinion).
8. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, until PALE golden around the edges, but soft in the middle. DO NOT OVERBAKE.
9. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Makes 1 1/2 dozen cookies (but I got two dozen).

1 comment:

ingegerd said...

hello!I have try these cookies,and i liked them!Iam from sweden,and i like your blog.have a nice day.