Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Oreo Cupcakes

While at the gym last week, I told one of the staff members that I loved baking and had this blog (part of the reason I need to go to the gym so often). Ironically enough, she pleaded with me to bring some goodies in for the staff, so I happily (and guiltily) obliged.

I'd been meaning to try making Oreo cupcakes after seeing tons of delicious-looking photos on Flickr, so I was thrilled to have an opportunity to finally make up a batch.

Using the Devil's Food Cake, Whipped Cream and Goodies & Cream recipes from my Little Cakes From the Whimsical Bakehouse cookbook as the basis for the final concoction, I baked up these tasty little cakes with great success.

Unlike many of the other Oreo cupcakes recipes I've seen, I opted to use a chocolate cake recipe, and chose simple whipped cream for the topping and filling to avoid an overly sweet result.

The whipped cream was definitely the right choice, but I did find the batter a bit dry. I think that when I make these again I will use Martha's Chocolate Cake recipe, because they're just so moist and flavourful. It's important to note that whipped cream doesn't keep very well, and storing these cupcakes for longer than a day causes the Oreos to lose their crunch, so these are best made and served the same day.

Still, these cupcakes were sooo tasty - I can almost feel the softness of the whipped cream as I bite into one... Yummy!

The ingredients:

Oreo halves in the bottom of the pan:


The cupcakes, baked and cooling:


Injected with the goodies & cream filling:


Topped with whipped cream and half of an Oreo:


Look how chubby these are!:


Oreo baked into the bottom:


Cut in two... check out the filling... MMM!:



Oreo Cupcakes

Batter (makes 16 cupcakes):
3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 cups cake flour
2 tsps. baking soda
1 1/2 tsps. salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
16 Oreo cookies, split in half, with icing


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line three 6-cup muffin pans with cupcake liners.
2. Place an Oreo half in the bottom of each liner, with icing side facing up.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugars, and cocoa powder with an electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy.
4. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating on medium speed until well creamed.
5. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt together.
6. On low speed, add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared molds, filling almost to the top of each mold. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
8. Cool on a wire rack for 15 - 20 minutes before removing from the pan.
9. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before adding the filling and topping.


Filling:
1 1/4 cups whipping cream
2 tbsps. icing sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup Oreo cookie crumbs


Directions:
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff.
2. Gently fold in the cookie crumbs.
3. Scoop mixture into a piping bag, and using a Bismarck tip, inject filling into each cupcake.


Whipped Cream & Oreo Topping:
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
2 tbsps. icing sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
8 Oreo cookies, cut in half


Directions:
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip all three ingredients until stiff.
2. Scoop whipped cream into a piping bag, and pipe small amount on top of each cupcake.
3. Place one of the cookie halves on the whipped cream mound.

3 comments:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I'm not a cookie person, but I loooooove Oreos!!

Maida Vale said...

Totally going to make these right now with Candy Cane Joe-Joe's from TJ's. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I made these for a friend's 30th birthday and they were a smash hit! Thank you :)