Saturday, April 12, 2008

Random Chocolate Candy Brownies


I guess the obvious thing that I love about baking brownies is eating them, but making them is almost as great.

This brownie recipe is adapted from the cookbook, One Smart Cookie, and was featured in my post titled Easy Valentine's Day Brownies. Apart from being an easy and tasty recipe, it's very versatile. With the addition of a few simple ingredients, you can make cheesecake brownies, peanut butter brownies, or in this case, random chocolate candy brownies.

Using up some of the Easter chocolates that I received from Mumsie has been challenging (other than simply popping them in my mouth). But this recipe took care of the bulk of them. I grabbed whatever chocolate candy I had (Cadbury Mini Eggs, 2 mini Aero bars, 2 mini Coffee Crisp Bars, 2 Kinder Surprise eggs (minus the surprise) and 2 mini boxes of Smarties), chopped the chocolate finely (with the exception of the Mini Eggs & Smarties), and threw them into the batter at the last minute. Use any chocolate that you have around (about 1/2 - 1 cup's worth), making sure to reserve some to sprinkle on top.

The result: Chewy, fudgy brownies with random chocolate candy surprises in each bite!

The ingredients:

The brownies, baked and cooling (ignore the missing piece):


Check out all those candy pieces!:


Random Chocolate Candy Brownies

1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. instant coffee granules dissolved in 2 tsps. water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 - 1 cup chocolate candies

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 8"x 8" pan with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix together butter/margarine and sugar until well combined.
3. Add egg, egg whites, vanilla and coffee and stir until thoroughly blended and smooth.
4. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to the egg mixture and stir by hand until just combined.
5. Add the candies to the batter and combine, reserving some to sprinkle on the top.
6. Spread batter into pan and sprinkle with remaining candies.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until edges just begin to pull away from the sides of the pan, but center is still slightly soft. Do not overbake - I usually bake a pan for 30 minutes. Let cool - makes 12-16 brownies.

1 comment:

kittenpie said...

Hi there - I"m also a children's librarian in Toronto, as I guess you must know from kittenpie reads, and just found you through a referral link on that site... and now, I'm hungry! Wow, that all looks good. Anyhow, just thought I'd swing by and say hi, even though I am TOTALLY not a baker myself. I'm the eater half of that equation. Hey, you need us, too, right?