Thursday, May 8, 2008

Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes

I've never been particularly good at math, but for some reason, this equation has always made sense: Peanut Butter + Chocolate = Awesome!

Not surprisingly, it's even better in cupcake form.

For several months I've been waiting to test out a Peanut Butter cupcake recipe. I was finally presented with the perfect opportunity last weekend, when my pal & colleague, D.G., celebrated his birthday. D.G. is a great supporter of my baking experiments (and often the poor sucker who has to test the results), and he loves peanutty stuff, so I knew that whatever I made would have to include p.b. Being his birthday, I also felt quite strongly about making some kind of cake, so I baked cupcakes because I love their cuteness and small portion size (if you can eat only one!)

I've seen several different peanut butter cupcake recipes on the internet, but the more I researched, the more I realized that whatever I made would have to combine peanut butter and chocolate. So I eventually selected
this recipe from How Stuff Works because it seemed to combine the best of both.

But the question that you probably want answered is what did they taste like?

The cupcake itself was AMAZING. The peanut butter flavour was subtle and the saltiness of the peanuts ensured that the cupcake wasn't too sweet. Even better, it was perfectly baked, so the cakes were moist, but not wet. In short, I LOVED this cupcake batter and would make it again for sure.

Adding the mini peanut butter cups atop the chocolate frosting was the only original idea (I use the term loosely as I'm sure that someone else, somewhere else, has done it already) that I contributed, but it looked really sweet on top of the peanut butter cupcake in it's little paper liner since it looked like a teeny version of a cupcake.

The only thing that I didn't really love about the recipe was the frosting. It was way too sweet for my taste and I guess that I was disappointed because I was expecting the frosting to be more akin to the glaze on a peanut butter cup. Needless to say, I was disappointed in that area.

I think that these cupcakes would taste better with a milk chocolate glaze or ganache and would more closely resemble a peanut butter cup, so the next time I make these, I will play around with the frosting recipe to hopefully achieve the peanut butter cup flavour.

Still, these cupcakes were tasty and are totally worthwhile to make. Just go easy on the frosting. :)

The ingredients for the batter:


The ingredients for the frosting:

Cooling cupcakes:

I don't want to know how many calories are in these things:
Is it normal to be in love with a cupcake? Wait - don't answer that:

No comments: