Sunday, June 1, 2008

Bailey's Irish Cream Cupcakes

A few weeks ago I was dusting my liquor cabinet (actually, it's more of a shelf, but whatever) and heard the pitiful tinkle in my bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream which indicated that there was next to nothing left in the bottle. I'm sure I'll sound like a freak, but I absolutely can't stand having a huge container lying around with hardly anything in it, so I immediately need to conceive of a plan to get rid of the remainder. I was dead set against drinking it, especially as it was only 10 a.m. when I thought about using it, so I turned instead to the internet to look for a dessert recipe.

One of the recipes that came up was for Bailey's Irish Cream Cake at Too Many Chefs. With a few simple changes, I adapted it and turned into a cupcake recipe. Sadly, while this recipe did use up the remainder of my Bailey's, it turned out only so-so. Meaning: I ate a few cupcakes but wasn't that eager to go back and have another.

My biggest gripe about this recipe was that the quantity of filling was so inadequate. There was hardly enough to do the 12 cupcakes I made - in fact, I was only able to add a tiny speck inside each one. Doubling the filling recipe would easily take care of this, but I was still disappointed. The frosting, on the other hand, was plentiful, but it was really, really sweet and I think the addition of the Bailey's was just a bit too much. I know, I know... how can you have too much Bailey's? Trust me, it's possible.

Finally, the cake batter itself baked up quite dry. In my experience, this is not uncommon with batters that use butter instead of oil, but it's still disheartening when you're really expecting something to be soft and moist. Still, the taste of the cupcake was interesting, and a nice change from traditional chocolate with the subtle hint of the Bailey's coming through.

To decorate the cupcakes, I used a big star tip to pipe the frosting, and decorated with gold dragees. Overall, the cupcakes looked cute, but with the super-sweet frosting, the pinprick of filling and the dryness of the cake, I couldn't help but feel indifferent about this recipe. However, it's not all bad... now I get to buy another bottle of Bailey's!


The ingredients for the batter:

Ingredients for the filling:

Ingredients for the frosting. The Bailey's was for me to take a quick swig. Haha... Kidding! (Or AM I?):

Cute, but the whole package was nothing to write home about:

Bailey's Irish Cream Cupcakes

Batter:
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
6 tbsps. Bailey's Irish Cream
3 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup milk

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate over low heat with the Bailey's and the brown sugar. Stirring frequently, blend until smooth, remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
4. To the butter and sugar mixture, add the eggs one by one and mix well after each addition.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
6. Add the milk and the dry ingredients gradually to the egg/sugar/butter mixture, alternating between the wet and dry. Once totally incorporated, add the chocolate mixture and fold in.
7. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 25 minutes, and allow to cool ten minutes in the pan before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Filling:
3/4 cup whipping cream
3 tbsps. Bailey's Irish Cream liquer
2 tbsps. icing sugar

Directions:
1. Whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks.
2. Fold in the icing sugar and the Bailey's.
3. Reserve 1/2 cup of the filling for the frosting.
4. When the cupcakes are cool, pipe the filling inside using a Bismarck tip, or cut a small piece out of the top of the cupcake, fill the opening with some of the filling, and replace the top of the cupcake.

Frosting:
1/3 cup butter, softenend
2 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup reserved filling

Directions:
1. Beat the butter with the icing sugar.
2. Gently fold in the reserved filling mixture.
3. Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with gold dragees or some other decoration.

3 comments:

dghnfgj said...

welcome to the wow power leveling, cheap service site,WoW Gold buy cheap wow gold,wow gold,world of warcraft buy wow power leveling

Anonymous said...

I will sure try them next week for St. Patrick's. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Liz

anjelikuh said...

thank you so much for the recipe, i've been looking for something like this for quite a while, will try it out asap!