Sunday, September 7, 2008

Peachy Keen Cupcakes

It's peach season here in Ontario, and with baskets of ripe, juicy peaches available for a few bucks, making a peach dessert seems like a no-brainer. Well, unless you hate peaches, of course.
But for the sake of this post, let's pretend that EVERYONE likes peaches, OK?

The basis for my recipe was adapted from this recipe, via the cupcake haven, Cupcakes Take The Cake. I made mini-cupcakes, and added the sour peach ring candies to the top for decoration (and more peachiness!), but as much as I tried to love these cupcakes in all their adorable-ness, I just couldn't. For some reason, they were kind of bland, the cupcake was a bit gummy (although totally cooked), and I didn't feel that the peach flavour really stood out. Well, with the exception of the candies, which were the tastiest part of the whole dessert.

This recipe wasn't exactly a bumble, but it wasn't a success, either. I named this recipe "Peachy Keen" mostly because I tried my darndest to make something delicious, but just ended up with a cute package and little substance.

My one saving grace? I also whipped up a batch of my mini-Coconut Lime cupcakes (recipe here) which were SUPERB with their thick layer of buttercream and toasted coconut topping and tangy lime cake underneath. I almost felt bad for the peach cupcakes - once you ate a coco-lime cuppy, you didn't want to eat anything else!


NOTE: There are no photos of the ingredients because my camera wasn't working at the time of baking. And by not working, I mean the batteries were dead. :)
The photos you see below I took with my camera at work, after I bought new batteries. And my co-workers were the lucky recipients of these goodies.

Keen but not that Peachy:
The REAL star of the show - Mini Coconut Lime Cupcakes:

Peachy Keen Cupcakes

Cupcakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsps. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
½ cup milk
1 fresh peach, pitted, peeled and pureed (use your blender, food processor, or a fork)

Frosting:
1/2 fresh peach, pitted, peeled and pureed
1 1/2 tbsps. unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
24 sour peach ring candies

Directions:

Cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line mini muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes or until smooth.
4. Gradually add sugar to butter and beat for 2 minutes more.
5. Add eggs and extracts to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition.
6. Stir in half the dry ingredients, then half the milk, in three parts; repeat and mix until well-combined, ending with the flour.
7. Stir in pureed peach and pour batter into muffin liners, filling until the top.
8. Bake cupcakes for 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 9. Cool in tins for 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.

Directions:

Frosting:
1. Beat butter and ¾ cup powdered sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
2. Blend in 1½ tablespoons peach puree and the extract, beating for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
3. Gradually add remaining sugar, adding more peach puree if a thinner consistency is desired.
4. Frost cupcakes and top each with a sour peach ring candy.

1 comment:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

OMG the both look SO delicious!