Friday, October 31, 2008

Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes (for Halloween!)

Here it is, folks (admittedly, really late) - the alternative to making chocolate, decorated cupcakes for Halloween - pumpkin spice cupcakes with maple cream-cheese frosting!

This was a nice change for me, and helped ease my over-loaded, chocolate-laden sweet tooth (I ate about a million mini-Crunchies). I love, love, love maple syrup, and mixing it with cream cheese made this frosting taste soooo good!

The recipe for both the cupcakes and frosting can be found here. The only changes I made to the recipe was omitting the applesauce (I just increased the pumpkin 1/4 cup), and adding a tbsp. more of the maple syrup. While I'm a huge fan of maple syrup, and it was indeed tasty, I think that if I were to make this recipe again, I would substitute maple extract, as the syrup made the frosting a bit runny.

The ingredients:
The cupcakes, baked and cooling:The finished product - scarily good!:If these cupcakes aren't your thing, and you like your Halloween gross and not cute, then perhaps you'd like to make this Kitty Litter Cake. I made this for our Halloween party at work, but sadly there are no photos of the preparation, only the result. This cake is really quite tasty, but looks are deceiving in this case, and many of my co-workers were hesitant to try it! It's fun and easy to make though, and will get lots of buzz at a Halloween party (recipe here).
Nasty looking, but quite tasty!:
Finally, here are some photos of the pumpkins I carved today (both lit and unlit):

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

2 comments:

Coby said...

Your cupcakes look delicious - very cute:) A Kitty Litter Cake? What a dreadful..wonderful idea:) Halloween is not such a big deal here in Australia, so all this effort is quite daunting to me. Most impressive - wonderful pumpkins!:)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I gave you an award. Mostly because I LOVE LOVE LOVE this kitty litter cake! ;P