Sunday, October 26, 2008

S'mores Cupcakes




Ah, s'mores - the ultimate camping snack. There's just something so messy, so completely satisfying, about sinking your teeth into a crunchy graham cracker and revealing the melted chocolate and marshmallow inside. It makes me want to go camping all year round!

But it's getting cold outside, and I'm totally out of vacation days, so I decided to put all the goodness of s'mores into a compact package - the cupcake.


These are tasty treats, my friends, REALLY tasty treats. In fact, I'm willing to bet the house I don't have, that you will not be able to eat only one.

The cake recipe that I used (click here) I found one day while idly looking around the Martha Stewart site. What appealed to me was the use of a chocolate batter (many s'mores cupcake recipes seem to be more of a vanilla cupcake that's designed to mimic the graham cracker), and the inclusion of a graham cracker crust at the bottom of the cupcake. What took this recipe over the top was the sprinkling of dark chocolate over the crust before adding the cupcake batter, and more of the crust and chocolate on TOP of the batter before baking.

This cupcake is just soooo good! The graham cracker crust is sweet and crunchy, and the dark chocolate melts into the softness of the actual cupcake. But then you add the final mouthful to the scenario - marshmallow frosting - and it's eyes-rolling-into-the-back-of-your-head amazing!

The frosting recipe I used (click here) was very good, but a tad too sweet for my tastes, and didn't really let the marshmallow flavour shine through. Still, it was very tasty, and complemented the cupcake well.

When I make these cupcakes again, I will do a few things differently.
First, although I will make the cupcake according to the recipe I used, I think I will double the graham cracker crust mixture, and spread more of it on the top of each cupcake to mimic an actual S'mores.

Second, instead of making a marshmallow frosting for the top, I think I'll just pipe the marshmallow fluff directly into the interior of the cupcake, and omit the frosting, for a more authentic-looking (and tasting!) S'mores snack.

MMMMMMMMMMM! S'mores............... I think I need to go and make some of these right now!

1 comment:

Lord of the Wing said...

I just looked at the first picture and thought: I don't even need to see any writing or recipe. The picture made me drool as it was.