Monday, January 19, 2009

Cheesecake Brownies

Alright, alright. I know it's been over three weeks since I last posted, and I'm really sorry!

Here's what's been going on...

First, my computer stopped working. As in, it had no power and would not run. So while I could type up posts at work, I couldn't add photos, and let's face it, without taste, smell, touch, sound OR sight, how on earth are you supposed to enjoy my baking?!?

Next, I lost several sets of photos of stuff I baked over the holidays. Delicious stuff too, I might add. I made Peanut Butter Cups, Chocolate and Vanilla Cream Cheese Wafer cookies, Nutella Biscotti... the list was lengthy, and all of the photos are gone. Not to worry - I loved all of these recipes, and am planning on making them again, so they may see the light of day on this site yet.

Finally, Rayzor and I have been packing and furniture shopping like mad to prepare for the move into our new house at the end of the month. Which means that in addition to Rayzor has packed away all of my cookbooks, and most of my supplies.

I can hear you (Sherm), saying, "Excuses, excuses! I check this stupid site everyday and there's nothing new!" If it helps at all, I should be back on my baking schedule by Feb. 1, when I'm all moved in to my new house and bigger and better kitchen.

So why, you might ask, am I posting a recipe for Cheesecake Brownies today when I just ranted for four paragraphs about how I don't have time/space/equipment to bake?

Well, one of my colleagues is retiring at the end of January, and months ago I offered to bake something for her party. Two things, actually, but the other will debut here next week.

The thing is, I kinda sorta forgot that I was moving two days after her party and would be up to my ears in boxes. Oh, and that Rayzor had packed everything away. So I opted to bake stuff that could be frozen until needed, and searched the web for a new recipe.

I love, love, LOVE cheesecake brownies, and although my favourite recipe is tucked away in a cardboard box somewhere, I tried these brownies, with a few adaptations, of course, and was very happy with the results.

This recipe combines two amazing baked goods in one: brownies AND cheesecake. I opted to substitute some milk chocolate chips for the semisweet chocolate, and this resulted in a lighter brownie. I'm using the term "lighter" quite loosely here - if you're on a New Year's diet, there's absolutely nothing "light" about these brownies in terms of caloric intake.

But compared to a more traditional cheesecake brownie, these really let the cheesecake shine through, as the milk chocolate doesn't compete with the cheesecake the way dark does. Oh, and I adore tiny desserts, so instead of the traditional cake pan, I used a mini-cupcake tin to get these itty-bitty, marbelized brownies.

These are easy to make, rich and indulgent, and pretty much the surest way to bid adieu to your skinny jeans.

Enjoy! :)

The ingredients:
Melting the chocolate and butter together:
The first layer of brownie batter...:

Followed by the cheesecake layer...:
Spread a bit more brownie batter on top and then swirl together!:

You'd better start looking for your sweatpants!:


Cheesecake Brownies

Brownie Layer:
1/2 cup salted butter, cut into pieces (if using unsalted butter, add 1/4 tsp. salt with the flour)
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Cream Cheese Layer:
8 ozs. (one package) cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Spray a mini-cupcake pan, or small cake pan with non-stick spray.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly.
4. Remove the chocolate/butter mixture from heat, and pour into a large bowl.
5. Stir in the sugar and vanilla extract with a wooden spoon, mixing well.
6. Add the eggs, one at a time, to the chocolate, beating well after each addition.
7. Stir in the flour and beat until the batter is smooth and glossy.
8. Remove 1/2 cup of the brownie batter and set aside. Divide the remainding brownie batter evenly among the cups of the mini-cupcake tin.
9. In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.
10. Add the sugar, vanilla and egg and blend until creamy and smooth.
11. Spread the cream cheese filling over the brownie layer, dividing the mixture evenly among the cupcake cups.
12. Spoon small dollops of the reserved brownie batter evenly on top of the cream cheese filling.
13. Using the tip of a knife, swirl the two batters around a bit, so that slight marbleing occurs, but not so much that the two batter mix into one.
14. Bake for 25 minutes or until the brownies start to pull away from the sides of the pan.
15. Place brownies on a wire rack to cool.

1 comment:

Erica said...

These cheesecake brownies look amazing. Did they make 24 mini muffins?