Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Making Whoopie (Pies!)

Whoopie pies, people. Whoopie PIES. Geez. Don't think I don't know what you were thinking!

Anyways, Rayzor and I have safely moved into our new house and mostly unpacked. Which means one thing... time to test out our fabulous new kitchen!

I love this new kitchen. LOVE IT. Here's why:

Having a double oven means that Rayzor and I can actually cook and bake together. Like, at the same time. Crazy, huh?

I'm also thrilled with the kitchen island, as it means lots and lots of counter space to bake on!

So, onto the other thing... you know, the reason you read this blog? Yeah, the baking... right.

While Rayzor was out watching the Super Bowl Sunday night, I flipped through one of my new cookbooks (thanks, Sherm!), Martha Stewart's Cookies for ideas. I settled on her Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies because of the peanut butter/chocolate combo, and I chose correctly!

Before trying the fruits of my labour, I'd never had a whoopie pie before. I'm sorry I haven't!

These cookies are soft, pillowy chocolate cakes, and the peanut butter frosting inside is sooo yummy! The peanut butter isn't too heavy, and complements the chocolate cookie perfectly.

These cookies are what I imagine clouds taste like in heaven. MMMMMMMMM!

The ingredients:
The batter, before baking:

Baked and cooling:
Yummy peanut butter filling:Take a cookie, add a tablespoon of frosting...:Add another cookie on top and smush together...:Voila! You just made a whoopie pie!:Ah.... heaven!:For sharing... or at least pretending to for your blog:


Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies

Cookies:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
1 tbsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt (IF using UNSALTED butter)
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 tsps. vanilla

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Line baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt (if using unsalted butter).
4. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed, until light and fluffy.
5. Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and beat until well combined.
6. On low speed, slowly add dry ingredients, mixing until combined.
7. Drop 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter onto baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.
8. Bake until set, about 8 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway through. When the top of a cookie is gently touched, it should feel soft but not wet.
9. Cool cookies completely on a wire rack.

Filling:
1 1/2 cup natural, peanut butter (I used chunky, but I don't think it matters)
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
Directions:
1. With an electric mixer, beat peanut butter and butter on high speed until smooth.
2. Reduce speed to low, and add icing sugar, mixing until combined.
3. Raise speed to high, and mix until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes.
4. Assemble the cookies by spreading 1 heaping tablespoon of filling on the flat side of one cookie.
5. Sandwich the frosted cookie with another unfrosted cookie.
6. Repeat with remaining cookies, and refrigerate in single layers in airtight containers for up to 3 days.

4 comments:

Lord of the Wing said...

The kitchen looks awesome!

The Whoopie pies look awesome!


he he he . . . whoopie, he he he

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Oohhh kitchen island! I want!

These look fab!

<3 the new look btw! Can't remember if I already mentioned it...

Chris said...

Here via LOTW. I'm not a baker myself. I'm more like Rayzor. I can cook up a storm but couldn't bake my way out of a paper bag.

Nice blog. Love your kitchen!

D&L said...

i'm baking these right now. i only glanced at how much to put on a pan, thinking you said 1 1/2 cups of batter, rather than tablespoons. way for me to be dumb. the next batch is the right size and looks much better haha

Laura