Friday, May 8, 2009

Butter Tarts

There is a very good reason why this post isn't labelled "Margarine Tarts", or "Oil Tarts" or "Lard Tarts". Well, two good reasons, actually.

One - I didn't use margarine, oil or lard.
Two - Butter is absolutely neccessary to this recipe. As in, the tart dough would not hold together if chilled butter wasn't used.

But besides the whole not being a big gloopy mess issue, there's the fact that even IF the other things worked, these tarts would not be nearly as delicious.

Butter, simply put, makes EVERYTHING better.

I've been meaning to bake butter tarts for some time, but never came across a recipe that appealed to me. Then one day, while riding the subway, I picked up a copy of the free Metro paper and read the article "Canadiana in a pastry cup", which contained the recipe for Peggy Morris' Amazing Butter Tarts, from Anita Stewart's cookbook, Canada.

The only change I made to the recipe was to substitute the walnuts for pecans and to use half the salt because I was using salted butter. But I don't think it would've mattered. These butter tarts were hands-down, the best butter tarts I've ever eaten.

The filling is obviously tasty, as is pretty much every butter tart filling that I've ever tried. But what truly makes these tarts AMAZING is the crust.

The shells baked up incredibly light and flaky (comparable to a croissant), and the addition of sugar made them much tastier than other butter tarts that I've tried.

Not to mention that they were easy to make. Still, as with any pastry, make sure that you don't over handle the dough, and that your water and butter are COLD. This really does make all the difference in the world. Let me tell you, living in Canada provides easy access to cold. :)

Bake up a batch of these today, and butter up Mom for Mother's Day!



The ingredients:
Yummy BUTTER tart shells:
Filled, but not baked:
Flaky, delicious, BUTTERY perfection:

Peggy Morris' Amazing Butter Tarts - Recipe HERE.

5 comments:

April said...

I have seen these butter tarts pop up over blogland, yours look delish! I may have to venture into making them soon.

Mermaid Sweets said...

Looks great, guess the butter only means I can't do a lactose free version, I'll just have to admire the pictures.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Mmmm they do look so buttery and delicious!

Lord of the Wings said...

I love Butter tarts. Butter is better!

carashealthycraving said...

I am so so happy that you loved this recipe!!
Peggy Morris is my grandma, actually, so it brings great joy to me that people are enjoying her recipe :)