Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cantaloupe Cream Pie

Yes, you read that correctly. CANTALOUPE Cream Pie.

Sounds weird, right? I know. Even Rayzor, who is open to trying new things, had to admit that he'd never order it at a restaurant if he saw it on the menu. But actually, it's pretty tasty.

Like most of the stuff I bake, I made a recipe with cantaloupe in it because I was trying to use up a cantaloupe that I had. You may remember that I've used cantaloupe when baking in the past (Cantaloupe Cupcakes), but I wanted to try something different this time.

After doing a quick Google search for cantaloupe dessert recipes, I found this recipe for Cantaloupe Cream Pie, which also featured a photo and many comments and reviews. Among the comments, several people had suggested using a very ripe cantaloupe (which I had), and using less sugar as they felt the filling was too sweet. Also, some argued that the cheese-based topping used in the original recipe was too overpowering for the cantaloupe custard.

Armed with these tips, I decided to halve the sugar in the cantaloupe filling, replace the cheese-based topping with fresh whipped cream and use butter instead of the suggested margarine. These changes worked marvelously.

The flavour of the cantaloupe custard filling is subtle and not overly sweet. The whipped cream on top offsets the denseness of the crust and filling, and melts in your mouth. Overall, a delightful dessert that will not overpower your tastebuds!

What I also should have swapped was the crust. I probably overworked it, as it came out sort of tough. At the best of times I'm not the most delicate handler of crusts, which need to be treated very gently. When I make this pie again (and yes, I will make it again!), I will use a graham cracker based crust because it's easy to whip up and adds a bit of sweetness.


I've listed my version down below (including a graham cracker crust), so if you try it out, let me know what you think!

I have to agree with the original author of this recipe - it will work well in the summer, and Cantaloupe Cream Pie is definitely not something you see everyday. Now you won't have to worry about bringing the same thing as your great-aunt to the family barbeque this summer!

By the way... THIS IS MY 100TH POST! :)


The ingredients:


The baked crust, filled with cooling, cantaloupe custard:


Voila! Whipped cream completes this pie!:



Cantaloupe Cream Pie

Crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar and stir in melted butter until the mixture comes together in an even crumbly texture.
3. Press into a 9-inch (23 cm) square fluted tart pan and bake for 8 minutes. Allow to cool completely.

Filling:
4 cups cantaloupe - peeled, seeded and pureed
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
3 egg yolks
3 tbsps. water
1 tbsp. unsalted butter (if using salted butter, omit the 1/4 tsp. salt)

Directions:
1. Place the cantaloupe in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt.
3. Stir the sugar and flour mixture into the cantaloupe.
4. Add the butter to the cantaloupe, stirring well.
5. Cook the cantaloupe mixture until it comes to a low boil and begins to thicken.
6. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and water together.
7. To prevent the yolks from curdling, gradually whisk in small amounts of the cantaloupe mixture.
8. Pour the yolk mixture back into pan and continue cooking for 2 minutes more, whisking constantly.
9. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once cooled slightly, pour into the pre-baked, cooled pie shell. Allow to cool completely (about 2 hours in the fridge) before adding whipped cream.

Whipped Cream:
1 cup whipping cream
3 tbsps. icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
1. Combine cream, icing sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electic mixer.
2. Beat until soft peaks form.
3. Using a spatula, spread the whipped cream over the cooled, cantaloupe custard, covering completely.

7 comments:

Lord of the Wings said...

CONGRATS on 100 POSTS!!!!


And the Pie sounded iffy . .. but it looked tasty in the end. I like all the colours. And I liked how you swapped stuffed in and out and made it your own.

April said...

Congrats on your 100th post!! I am not sure if I would order the pie either...but, I am curious now on how it would taste. I am thinking that this will have to be made and tried here. Great job!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I'm pretty brutal to my crusts too. I really should treat them kindly, but I get carried away! Lol :D What an awesome pie!

Fabjena(TheBestRecipes) said...

Amazin blog, and this one's lookind absoulutely wonderful! :))

dlb said...

Thanks, everyone!
I promised that it tasted good! Well, if you like cantaloupe.

Mermaid Sweets said...

Cool, on the 100th post and the unusual pie- so creative. I happen to dislike cantelope, but love honeydew melons, wonder how that would work?

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

It's been quite a while... Where are you??????