Monday, July 20, 2009

Coconut Cream Cheese Cake

I've just got to say - I love coconut. I think that I could eat it on just about anything. Well, maybe not spaghetti, but you get the idea. I like it a lot.

I originally saw this recipe on Abby Sweets (I seem to be getting most of my inspiration from there lately), and knew I had to try it. I must admit, I was not disappointed.

If you're like me, and you really enjoy coconut, you'll love this moist, dense, coconutty cake. It's really easy to make, and the tropical flavour makes it a great summer treat.

Enjoy!


The ingredients:

Baked cake:

Frosted and sprinkled with coconut:


Coconutty Perfection!:


Coconut Cream Cheese Cake (adapted from Abby Sweets)

Cake:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups flaked, sweetened coconut
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1. Beat butter, shortening and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until creamy.
2. Gradually add sugar, beating for about 2 - 5 minutes.
3. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition, just until yellow disappears.
4. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended.
5. Stir in coconut abd vanilla.
6. Pour batter into a greased and floured bundt or tube pan.
7. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 10 - 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
8. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10-15 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

Frosting:
Vanilla Frosting
1 1/2 cups flaked, sweetened coconut (toasted optional)

Directions:
1. Frost the entire cake with vanilla frosting.
2. Sprinkle cake with coconut and press into frosting where needed.

4 comments:

April said...

I know this had to be fantastic with the icing and coconut added! I'm glad you liked it and it looks great!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Thanks for smashing 3 of my favorite things into one great thing! Coconut... cream cheese... CAKE!??!?! YOU ARE AWESOME! :P

Lord of the Wings said...

Ooooh, this looks good.

It's got cream cheese you say? I'm sold.

carterzmomma said...

how did it look before coconut....i love it but the rest of the heathens think its gross...