Friday, September 30, 2011

Baptism Cake


This past Sunday was my little girl's baptism  - I can't believe that she's almost 6 months old already! Time certainly is flying by. She was absolutely adorable in her white satin ensemble and simply ate up being the little princess. To celebrate, Rayzor and I hosted a small lunch for our close family and I volunteered to make the cake.

I knew that I wanted to do something with pink frosting, and with a white-coloured cake. Other than that, my vision for the cake was non-existent. Using my trusty friend Google, I found many beautiful baptism cakes, but they were a bit too, well, religious-looking. I wanted to make something simple and beautiful to reflect the miracle that is my baby Lainey!


When I came upon this tutorial for piping buttercream roses, I knew that I found what I was looking for. Simple, yet elegant, this cake was the perfect match for the occasion. Isn't her cake gorgeous? I won't even pretend that mine looks anything like hers. For one, you'll notice in my photos that only the top of the cake was covered in roses... this was the result of not doubling the strawberry frosting recipe and running out! Luckily I didn't start on the sides only to find out that I had none left. Making these roses is super easy and will leave your guests very impressed with your decorating talent!

For the cake itself, I baked two round cakes, using Martha Stewart's Basic Yellow Cake recipe. It was good, but would've been better if I baked it for only 32 minutes instead of 35. For the filling and roses I whipped up a batch of strawberry frosting via Sprinkles Cupcakes. I should've doubled the recipe to cover the cake with roses and do the filling, but that was my fault. The frosting itself was sweet and buttery, and had the slightest hint of strawberry flavour. This is a great recipe for making frosting pink without adding food colouring, by the way.

I can't wait to try this frosting and decorating technique again soon. If you're looking for an elegant way to dress up a birthday, wedding shower, baptism or baby shower cake, then I think this would be perfect.   Enjoy!

1 comment:

mrsrebeccalynn said...

The icing was scrumptious! Despite the lack of icing it still looked beautiful & you fooled all your guests!