Everyone has holiday traditions. For me, Christmas isn't Christmas without eggnog, decorating the Christmas tree, Anne Murray holiday tunes in the background, and baking.
Oh, and Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls.
This is my mom's recipe, and she always and only made these at Christmas. When we were little, my sisters used to help her by rolling the peanut butter mixture and dipping them in chocolate. Now that I'm older, I try to make them every year. Both of my sisters also make a batch each year.
A very similar version to this recipe is popular in the United States, called Buckeyes. Whatever they're called, these are easy to make and showcase the much-loved combo of peanut butter and chocolate. The addition of shredded coconut adds more texture and flavour. Yummy!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsps. butter
1 cup coconut
1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate
2 tbsps. vegetable shortening
1. Mix all ingredients together except chocolate and shortening.
2. Place mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to make rolling easier.
3. Roll into balls and place in freezer to set - about 15 minutes.
4. Melt chocolate and shortening together over a double boiler.
5. Dip balls in melted chocolate, and place on a baking sheet covered in waxed paper.
6. Place tray in the freezer for one hour, then transfer balls to a covered container and return to the freezer.