Saturday, December 3, 2011

Gingerbread Men (and Women!)

Gingerbread guy & gal!

Ready for a snowball fight!

Every single year, I vow not to go overboard with holiday baking and EVERY single year I go overboard. How does this happen? I guess it's a combination of two things: wanting to make stuff from years past that I love, and adding in a bunch of new things that I want to try. This always results in a freezer stocked beyond capacity, happy friends and co-workers, and the need for stretchy pants come Dec. 31st. Oh well. Let the Christmas baking insanity begin!

To start the month off right, I'm sharing this wonderful recipe for gingerbread. In my opinion, Christmas just wouldn't be the same without gingerbread. The smell of cloves, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg wafting throughout my house makes me think of snowy mountaintops, roaring fires and stuffed stockings. And how hungry I am!

This recipe is slightly adapted from Martha Stewart's Gingerbread Snowflakes recipe. I used a bit less flour, a bit less molasses, and a bit more brown sugar. And because my cookie cutter was a lot smaller than the 7" cutter Martha uses (mine was about 3"), I only baked these for 8 minutes. 

These cookies are slightly chewy but sturdy enough to decorate. I used the royal icing recipe included with the gingerbread snowflakes and just let my creativity flow. Some were "girl" and "boy" gingerbread, some were decked out in their winter gear, and I even made a football player for Rayzor! Just have fun with the decorating, and remember... any mistakes can be quickly hidden with a few big bites!

Happy Baking!

No comments: