Thursday, December 8, 2011

Shortbread Cookies


Shortbread cookies are a holiday staple on my baking list - watching my mom bake up batches of shortbread is one of my most vivid memories and one that I try to recreate every year. I love the rich, buttery texture paired with a steaming mug of my favourite tea.

This is my mom's traditional recipe, using only four ingredients and a very straightforward process. I prefer these simple and unadorned, but my mom always added some kind of embellishment to her shortbread: cherries, sprinkles, or even chocolate kisses. Be as creative as you want with these, and don't forget to share them with those you love!

Enjoy!

Mumsie's Shortbread Cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 cup flour
3/4 cup butter, softened

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300F.
2. Sift together cornstarch, icing sugar and flour.
3. Blend in butter until a soft, smooth dough forms.
4. Roll dough out to ¼” thickness on a surface dusted lightly with flour. Cut out shapes with a 2” cookie cutter. (Alternatively, you can shape the dough into 1" balls and flatten slightly with a fork, or skip the fork-flattening and add sprinkles, press in a chocolate kiss or cherry, etc.)
5. Place cookies 1 1/2" apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat.
6. Bake for 9 – 12 minutes, just until the edges are starting to turn golden. Transfer to a rack and cool. 

No comments: