Saturday, January 7, 2012

Eggnog Ice Cream

Happy New Year!

I've been pretty busy over the past few weeks visiting with friends, family and celebrating the holidays, which is why I haven't posted anything new.

Also, I've never felt as sick of sweets after the holidays as I did this year. Clearly, I overdid it and now have (almost) zero interest in eating anything dessert-like.

However, I did have a nearly-full carton of eggnog sitting in my fridge, and I hated to simply pour it down the drain. Instead, I opted to make something cold and creamy to keep in the freezer until the sweet craving strikes again.

I adapted this recipe slightly from Alton Brown's Eggnog Ice Cream recipe, and this Eggnog Ice Cream recipe from Allrecipes.com (I read the reviews and used the comments to help with my final recipe). It's very easy to make and tastes delicious.

If you've got an excess of eggnog, and an ice cream maker, then this is the recipe for you! Here's another link to recipes that incorporate eggnog if you're looking for something less chilly.

Cheers!

Eggnog Ice Cream

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups eggnog, chilled
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Pinch of salt

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, stir all of the ingredients together with a whisk.
2. Process the mixture in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
3. Eat as is for a soft-serve style ice cream or store in an airtight container and freezer for 2 - 4 hours for a more solid ice cream.

No comments: